Optical Metal Finishes
Techmetals offers a variety of optical coatings to help meet the exacting requirements of industries that produce such products as mirrors, optical lenses, precision tools, printing plates and more.
We offer OPTAKOAT, a dense nickel phosphorus metal plating, specifically developed for the Optics & Diamond turning industry. And we also provide Silver and Optical Electroless Nickel (EN) solutions.
Optical Grade Electroless Nickel (EN) is a high-phosphorous, high-build nickel deposit, which is formulated specifically for the optical industry. This coating is perfectly uniform and can be plated to thickness exceeding 0.026″. Optic Grade EN makes use of premium chemistry processes to meet the exacting specifications of our customers.
Silver has long been utilized as a precious metal — highly resistant to corrosion, chemical and acids. These properties are a big reason why Silver is so highly sought after in the metal finishing industry. It has the highest conductivity (thermal and electrical) of all metals, and also offers the highest level of reflectivity. This makes Silver an obvious choice for use with Optical Plating.
Benefits of OPTAKOAT:
- Extends Diamond Tool Life
- Lasts up to 8 times longer than Electroless Nickel (EN)
- Fewer defects than EN
- Polishes to a superior finish
- Corrosion and wear resistant
Benefits of Silver Plating:
Benefits of Optic EN:
- Uniform deposit thickness with no edge build-up (non-magnetic)
- Ability to hold tight tolerances within + 0.0001″
- Covers hard to reach areas that are difficult or impossible to coat with other coatings
- Preferred by diamond turning and polishing professionals
- Mold release, good wear
- Can be applied on ferrous or non-ferrous materials
- Less void volume than standard Electroless Nickel